In my ongoing attempt to make 2019 my best and most productive year to date, one of the ideas that I’ve been exploring is how I should best spend my time.
I’ve already written about the downsides of social media, and that’s definitely something that I’m trying to curb in search of this new me.
But at the same time, sometimes I struggle because not everyone online is bad – in fact, that’s been a major concern whenever I distance myself from social media is that I’m going to lose track of the people who I really do want to follow in the process!
So one thing that’s helped is taking a look at each of my interests and thinking about whose insights and opinions I really value in those areas. And those are the people who I’m primarily following, on social media and elsewhere.
Because I figure if I’m going to spend time reading stuff on the Internet, why not steer clear of the random strangers and drama queens and instead devote my time to people who I actually care about?!
Here’s my list so far…
- Video Games – Game Chasers, Angry Video Game Nerd, Pat the NES Punk, Gaming Historian
- Tech – Linus Tech Tips, TWiT, Automattic Data Team, The Daily WTF
- Disney – Touring Plans, TheTimTracker, That Sounds Fun, former Thingamavlogs crew
- Writing – pretty much all of my old Just Laugh writing friends
- Miscellaneous – QuirkyChrissy (Disney, general positivity), The Try Guys & Ladylike (general fun), Snake Discovery (the kids and I love Rex the gator!)
These are all people who inspire me, they make me laugh, and the things that they do make me happy, so if push comes to shove, I’d rather kill a few minutes checking out something new that one of them did than arguing with some random stranger on Facebook. 😉